Music of Me

This is partly inspired by a book by Nick Hornby called Songbook, partly by another of his books called High Fidelity, and mostly by my sudden need to write down crap about myself that I feel is somewhat relevent and/or important. My posts for a while will be a list of the ten most important albums in my life. They are listed chronologically in order of when I first listened to them. I guess this is my first attempt at some sort of autobiographical exploration...that said, I think I'll do this in installments, one or two a day, or month. More excuses to post that way. By no means am I making a claim that these albums should mean anything to anyone else, but if they do, well I'll probably never hear about it because no one will read this.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Pure Coincidence


3. Throwing Copper - LIVE
I discovered Live on the b-side of a mix tape that a friend made for me. I forget what was on the a-side, but I do remember being very fustrated that I had to rewind the tape everythime that I got to the end of side b, that and the album cut off right after "Waitress". Live was important because I could play a lot of their stuff on my acoustic and could sing it without shredding my voice. Moreover, they were the first band that I saw in concert, and they put on an amazing show. My best friend and I used to sit in the dark and listen to "Dam at Otter Creek" as loud as possible so we could relive the opening moments of that concert; I still do it sometimes. I guess that more than anything, Live made rock a tangible thing for me, something that was more than recorded sounds and moving images. Across the years since that first concert, I've seen maybe 6 other rock concerts (not many bands toured through or even close to southern Idaho, and when I got to college, well...I was broke), and dozens of other types of concerts from jazz to children's choirs. Some of these performances have mesmerized and inspired me in the way Live did. But it's the link between my real life expericence with Live and the unchanging album that makes Throwing Copper so important.

No comments: